The mad reviewer who wears a sailor suit

Sunday 5 December 2010

Merlin season 3 review and musings

WARNING: This review contains major spoilers. And vast amounts of epic.
In my first review I revealed that I was a Clamp-holic. Well now I will also admit that I am a Merliknight, and proud of it.


The BBC’s Merlin is just so wonderfully addictive. I love everything about it. I love the adorably cute actors. I love the fantasy epicness. I even love the overwhelming cheesiness. If it wasn’t for this show, then my only fandom obsessions would be for depressing soap operas and romance films, or for crummy sci-fi shows.

I was lucky enough to watch the first double length episode of season 3, The Tears of Uther Pendragon, at the BFI screening at the beginning of September (big shout out to my sister for bagging me a seat). As if the start of the new series wasn’t exciting enough, I was watching on a big cinema screen amidst hordes of fellow fan girls. It made the whole experience so much better. I laughed and squeed and cheered to my heart’s content.

And I got to wear a cape!

The first episode of season two was kind of ‘meh’ but in comparison, this was a much much better way to open a series. Morgana had turned into a femme fetal. Merlin’s dragon lord powers came back. Uther was completely freaking out. And best of all, dragon riding!! I left the BFI theatre overwhelmed with awesomeness and the next day I went on holiday to visit Pierrefonds, which made me all the more excited for the third season.

Me at Pierrefonds, having the time of my life.

Then came Goblin’s Gold. Oh I have never seen a show take such a fast downhill turn. The premise of this episode was actually pretty good - Merlin accidentally releases a goblin which possesses Gaius, and he has to find a way to capture it without hurting his beloved mentor.

For some bizarre reason, the writers and producers thought that this episode should ignore the rest of the viewers and appeal only to 4 year old boys, by filling it with endless fart jokes. I really wish I was joking. The tavern thing I’ll give them, because it was actually sort of funny. But come on, most of us grow tired of fart jokes when we’re about 9 years old. Why are you trying to alienate the majority of your viewers? Why are you trying to stop people from watching your show? How is Arthur loving Gwen even if she has severe flatulence supposed to be romantic? For sanity’s sake, let’s pretend that episode never happened…

For those of us that found the will to keep watching, episode 4 thankfully picked up again and introduced us to new recurring character Gwaine. He’s a loveable rogue who constantly gets into bar fights yet has the heart of a knight. Oh and he has his shirt off for a good portion of the episode. Why did it take so long to introduce such an awesome character? I really want to see more of him, maybe even have him become a main character.

Episode 5, The Crystal Cave, opened with Arthur and Merlin being chased by random bandits, and the very first thought I had was ‘their affiair was discovered! They’re running away from the torch wielding villagers!‘

But it wasn’t until later in this episode that one of my favourite scenes of this season came. Uther is so desperate for Morgana to live that he gives Gaius permission to use magic. But the reason he does something so hypocritical is even more shocking - “Morgana is my daughter.”

Woah, Merlin the soap opera! I half expected to hear the Eastenders theme music after this line! Apparently Uther had a brief affair with his best friend’s wife while his own wife was away. I find it a bit weird that Uther was so distraught when Igraine died that he killed all the sorcerers, yet he cheated on her while she was alive. Couldn’t the writers have said that Morgana ‘happened’ after Igraine had died? Ah well, don’t argue with the plot devices.

The Eye of the Pheonix instantly became another of my all time favourite Merlin episodes. It was almost not like Merlin but something completely different. The perilous lands were shot differently to give an other worldy feel. The quest story was different than all the ones before. And the climactic scene with The Fisher King was brilliant in every way. Plus I was pleasantly surprised when Gwaine showed up again to join the team. It made me hopeful that he would have a more permanent role in the story.

The following episode gave me something I had been craving for a long time - Gaius’ back story!! And I was worried that the only ‘Gaius episode’ this season would be the gag one! For a while I had been wandering what it would be like if Gaius had a doomed romance in the past that came back to haunt him, and it actually happened! (Wait, I hope the writers aren’t stealing ideas from my brain…) An added bonus was Merlin getting all jealous that Daddy didn’t love him anymore. It was so cute! The final scene between Gaius and Alice was so moving that I cried. My only issue is that they never fully explained the manticore thing. Alice apparently thought that it would make her more powerful, but why would she go along with it when it tried to pin the blame on her one true love?

The series started with an epic two parter and ended with one too. The opening shot showed Sir Leon lying dead, and I was devastated! How could they have even thought of killing Sir Leon?! But it was ok, because he was healed by The Cup of Life, returning from way back in season one. It took me this long to realise that The Cup of Life is supposed to be The Holy Grail!!

There were several things I felt were missing from the final episode. I wanted to see more of Camelot under Queen Morgana’s reign. I wanted to see more of new character Percival. I wanted to see more of Uther after he’s fallen as low as he possibly can.

But most of all, I’m pissed that we didn’t get to see Merlin and Freya reunited! I had been looking forward to that for the whole season, but it never happened! Freya’s hand holding Excaliber appeared out the lake, but that was it! I wanted a big, romantic mythical scene of Freya, now The Lady of the Lake, handing over the sword, professing her love for Merlin and maybe even a kiss! But no! Nothing!! Come on, Freya is essentially Merlin’s true love! We got plenty of action between Arthur and Gwen, can’t any other characters have some romance?

But then again, the writers had a hell of a lot of stuff to cram into just 50 minuets. They did the right thing with having the main focus on the formation of The Round Table (or as I like to call them, The Raid Group). They managed to have every character contributing something to the heroic battle. Even Gaius using magic! Awesome!

But best of all - Sir Leon crossdressing and stripping! Who cares if it was unessential? I might almost forgive them for cutting Freya’s big scene. Oh wait, no I won’t….

The writers did a good job of taking the epic levels up even higher this season. Even some of the silly filler episodes were of a higher standard than usual. All except for the one we will pretend never happened…

The levels of character development throughout this season are also very impressive. There are so many sci-fi and fantasy shows that forget about character development (I’m looking at you, Star Trek), but in Merlin it is the very heart of the series.

Even Gaius got some character development. In season one, he would comically smack Merlin round the head just for moving a book with magic. But now, he steps in to save Merlin with magic without a second thought. Complete with glowy gold eyes! Way to go Gaius, we love you!

But of course the biggest change is evil Morgana. Before she was all ‘help the poor little children!’ but now, she orders her guards to fire upon the civilians! Woah, you do not want to piss her off!

Oh happy dagger...

She has always been my favourite character, and that hasn’t changed. Even if she is evil, she is still just as cool, beautiful and elegant as she always was, but now she has magic too! Katie McGrath remains my idol in how to be utterly glamorous all the time.

Gwen was perhaps a bit underused in some episodes, but I now fully support the romance between her and Arthur. In the last series, I thought the kiss scenes between them were nice, but sort of came out of nowhere. Now that their relationship has developed a little more, I can really see how they are great together and I think they’re really cute! Poor old Lancelot though, maybe he should get together with his mate Percival…

As well as the filler, there were still some things which I’m unhappy with. The downfall of Uther could have used a little more screen time because it was very interesting and dramatic. We never got to feel any real sympathy for Uther or see things from his point of view. Anthony Head certainly has the talent to pull it off.

The Great Dragon also only appeared in a handful of episodes. I know it’s more difficult now that he’s been released from the cave, but come on writers! You have John Hurt as a giant talking dragon and you don’t even use him?! I wanted to know what he’s been up to now that he’s free, other than being Merlin’s bitch. Is he cruising the dragon bars trying to find a mate? Has he found a nice cave somewhere to settle down and work on his pottery? What?!

On top of that, where was Mordred? Was the actor Asa Butterfield not available or busy with school? I hope that’s the reason, because I love that creepy yet adorably cute kid!

More Arthur and Merlin scenes would always be nice. But I would say that, being a slasher. I know Arthur was busy with Gwen, and Merlin was busy taking down evil Morgana, but what ever happened to bros before hoes?

Perhaps the best thing about this season was the build up to the Round Table scene. The show started with a fantastical kingdom with an arrogant prince. Now the kingdom is being rebuilt from the ground up, and everyone has to stand together to make that happen. And that means lots of yummy male actors all on screen together!!

Looking back at the beginning, it’s clear how far Arthur’s character has developed. Someone complained that he’s been blatantly throwing things at Merlin’s head to hurt him. But rather than just being mean, I think they’re actually comfortable enough around each other now that they can do things like that and know they don’t really mean it. Just look at the yaoi-riffic scene at the end of episode 4 where Arthur chases Merlin. No way he would’ve done that before, he would’ve just sent him straight to the stocks.

When I watched the scene of the two of them sitting on the steps, it reminded me of when I did the same a few months before. Just sitting calmly staring out at the courtyard and the beautiful castle, a massive contrast to the big fight scene we had just seen. Hanging out like best friends do and giving each other a playful shove shows that their friendship runs deep and strong. Brilliant, brilliant scene. However much they try to hide it, they aren’t a prince and a servant anymore. They are Merlin and Arthur. Oh it fills me with big squishy happiness!!

Horray! Now they can raid Icecrown Citidal!!

I have heard that season 4 will only have 10 episodes due to budget cuts, which sucks. I just hope they will be 10 really good episodes, none of this trolls and goblins rubbish. The set up for season 4 - the new knights, the unity of the round table and Excalibur being placed in the stone, was just too good. I don’t know how I’ll be able to wait so long for the next season.

My verdict - 8/10 (would have been 9 if not for Goblin’s Gold).

I shall end this review with the words of Monty Python:

When your life seems to drift
When we all need a lift
Tell yourself you won’t fail
Find your grail
Find your grail

1 comment: